Co-ed, no repetition of years, early foreign languages – since 1926
In 1919 Basel’s Minister of Education Fritz Hauser invited Rudolf Steiner to give a public lecture on educational theory and in 1924 he issued the school a licence. And in 1926 the first Swiss Waldorf school opened at Lindenhofstrasse 9 – with three classes and 30 pupils. Right from the start girls and boys were in mixed classes, studied the same subjects and completed the same number of school years and lessons. And English and French were taught right from the first year. In 1931 the school moved to a larger building at the Engelgasse 9 and in 1967 to the new premises on the Jakobsberg. The school has had two classes per year, years 1 to 12 since 1973.
One of over 1,000 schools worldwide
There are 28 Waldorf schools and 80 kindergartens in Switzerland, attended by around 6,300 pupils from 4,500 families. The pre-school program consists of 48 playgroups, 16 nurseries und 20 parent-child groups. Globally, there are around 1,000 Waldorf schools, 2,000 kindergartens and more than 60 training courses for teaching staff.